If you logout from an app, normally the app forgets the information that you logged in with, and will ask you to enter the username and password again to access the application. However, this is not the case with many Google and Facebook apps.
Apps like Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram are able to remember your login information. You can simply tap your finger to log in using a single tap. The practice is for user convenience, but it leaves you with a scratching head in some cases. Please allow me to elaborate.
A friend of mine used my iPhone XR last week to access his Instagram account. After browsing for 10 minutes, he logged out, but the app continued to remember his account, leaving his account exposed to me or anyone using my phone.
Those who are in a similar situation can learn how to remove an Instagram remembered account in this guide. Let’s dive right in!
How to remove Instagram remembered accounts on iPhone
Interestingly, Instagram offers a “Remove” option under the ‘My Account’ section of the homepage on Android devices. On the iPhone, however, things are a bit different. In order to do so, you need to click on the Instagram settings menu and make some changes.
Let me show you what the iPhone does by default before we get started. Whether you are logged in or not, when you try to log out of your Instagram account, it will show up on the Instagram homepage (shown in the image below). You can open the Instagram account by simply tapping it.
Here are the steps you can follow to remove Instagram remembered accounts.
- You can access Instagram on your iPhone by logging into your account.
- Go to the Account tab and tap on the hamburger menu that appears in the upper right corner.
- Please navigate to Settings → Security → Saved login information.
- You will now need to toggle off the Saved login information from the following menu.
- Instagram will ask you to confirm your decision. Select Remove from the following pop-up menu.
- To return to the Instagram Settings menu, use the back arrow in the upper right corner of the screen.
- To log out of your current account, scroll down to the Logout section, and select the appropriate option.
- Instagram will ask you whether you want to Remember or Forget your current account information. You should choose Not Now in the pop-up menu that appears.
- You can confirm your decision by tapping the Log Out button.
That’s all. You have successfully logged out of your Instagram account without leaving any traces behind. Next time, Instagram will ask you to enter your username and password in order to log in. We take security very seriously.
Removing saved login info of multiple Instagram accounts
A lot of Instagram users now have two accounts, one for personal use and one for professional use. If this is the case, Instagram does offer the option of removing the account from the home screen in such cases. Follow the steps below to learn more.
- Go to the Instagram Settings menu and log out of both accounts.
- On the home screen of Instagram, both of the accounts are ready-to-go with a single tap.
- Tap the small Edit button located at the bottom.
- You can remove an account by simply tapping the x mark beside it.
- As soon as the pop-up menu appears, Instagram will confirm your decision. If you select Remove, the app will delete the login information for your account.
Instagram offers more convenience than any other social media site, in my opinion. But it would be great to have biometric authentication such as Face ID or Touch ID to further strengthen the account security instead of letting the user access the account with a single tap.
The following steps will guide you through removing your remembered Instagram accounts from other devices. Do you have any further questions? Don’t hesitate to ask them in the comments section below.