The technique for uploading photos to Instagram will differ slightly depending on which web browser you are using on your Mac. Throughout this article, we will be providing instructions on how to use the two most popular Mac browsers: Safari and Chrome.
How to post to Instagram from Mac using Safari
In the case of Safari, you can use it to upload a photo to Instagram using developer tools. As a result, you can use the app to view Instagram in the same manner as you would when you are viewing the site on your mobile device:
- You will need to open Safari on your Mac.
- Select Safari > Preferences from the menu on the top of the screen.
- Select Advanced from the menu tabs at the top of the window.
- Check the box next to “Show Develop menu in the menu bar.”
- You will now be able to access Instagram.com from Safari.
- Click on Develop > User Agent > Safari > iOS (current version) > iPhone from the top menu.
- You should see Instagram exactly as it appears on your iPhone.
- Tap on the + icon at the bottom of the screen to upload a photo just as you would on the Instagram app on a mobile device. This will open your files on your Mac so you can choose a photo to add.
- All of the rest of the process works exactly the same way as within the Instagram application itself. The only limitation is that you are not allowed to add videos or gallery photos, just single photos.
How to upload to Instagram from Mac with Google Chrome
The Chrome browser with your Mac also offers an easy method for uploading photos to Instagram:
- Open Google Chrome in a new tab.
- Click on the three vertical dots in the upper-right corner and then click More Tools.
- Then click on Developer Tools.
- The Developer Tools will open on the right hand side of your screen. On the Developer Tools Screen, you will see an icon representing a phone or a tablet in the upper-left corner. Toggle this icon so you see the mobile view in your main window.
- The + icon should appear at the bottom of the screen if you click on the refresh button.
- If you click on the + icon, a window will appear with a list of the files on your Mac. Choose the photo you would like to upload and proceed as you normally would to upload your photo.
Post to Instagram from Mac using third-party apps
It’s fairly straightforward to use the Developer Tools in Chrome or the Develop menu in Safari, but there are a few extra steps that need to be taken. If you want to set something up that you can use over and over again without any hassle, consider using a third-party app for Instagram.
For ease of use and a beautiful user interface, Flume and PhotoDesk are two Instagram posting apps that stand out from the rest. Read on for how to use both of them to post to Instagram.
How to post to Instagram from Mac using Flume
The Flume app can be used on your Mac to browse Instagram from anywhere you have internet access, can add likes and comments on photos, follow and unfollow accounts, as well as send direct messages to accounts on the Instagram platform. If you wish to use the upload feature, you will have to purchase the premium version of the app.
Here’s how to use Flume to upload a post to Instagram from your Mac:
- Install the premium version of Flume on your Mac.
- Your Instagram feed will appear in a new window.
- You can select the camera icon at the bottom of the window by scrolling to the bottom of the window.
- There will be a separate window that appears. To add a photo or video to this window, you can
- As soon as you’ve uploaded your photo, you can add captions, add hashtags, and tag accounts. You can also use Instagram’s native filters and edit screen before uploading your photo.
- You can now upload your post to Instagram by clicking the Post button when you are done creating it.
How to upload to Instagram from Mac with PhotoDesk
You can do all of your Instagram activities from the comfort of your Mac with PhotoDesk, another powerful app that is packed with features. Moreover, the application even provides detailed statistics so that you can see how your posts are doing in the app itself. Initially, you are able to access a free trial, but after that, you will need to purchase the premium version.
Here is how you can upload to Instagram using PhotoDesk.
- Open the PhotoDesk application on your Mac and download the application.
- The camera icon is located next to your username at the bottom of your dashboard. Click on the camera icon.
- Click Open a New Image and select a photo from your computer.
- The window will appear with a variety of editing tools available to you. These tools are similar to the ones offered by Instagram, but they are not exactly the same.
- After you have finished editing your photo, click Post to proceed to the next screen.
- Now that you’ve added a caption, you can add hashtags as well.
- Once you are done editing your photo, click Export to save it to Instagram.
Whether you choose to upload photos to Instagram through your browser or by using a third-party app will depend on what features you plan to use. You will have limited functionality if you’re using a browser as you won’t be able to post videos or gallery posts if you’re using one. Using one of the apps mentioned above will give you even more features, but, of course, you will have to pay for them. Neither method is perfect, but you’ll have to make do with them until Instagram adds the ability to upload photos from its web browser, or develops an application specifically for Mac users.